This page will be updated throughout the reading period, so check back before submitting. We will also announce changes on Twitter.
- Update (6/25): Essays. We have not received any essay submissions yet for this issue.
- Seasonal/holiday (October-March)
- December Holidays (esp. Christmas ghost stories ala MR James/BBC)
- New Year
- Travel/place writing (esp. outside the United States)
Do not send us:
- Update (7/30): Religious content (especially humor), even if the story/essay is not religious.
- Update (7/30): Stories about returning to an old home or running into an old friend after years away.
- Anything sexist, racist, or homophobic. (Yes, this needs to be said.)
- Fables, morality tales, stories intended to teach life lessons.
- Family drama, break-ups/divorce, and “my partner is cheating.”
- Stories where the status quo needs to be disrupted, but everyone decides to pretend everything is okay.